Icy Northwest Terror
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Members Come Here
A "Terror" readalong? EmptySun May 10, 2020 9:28 pm by Cornelius Hickey 11:11

» Admins's Foruming tips
A "Terror" readalong? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 am by What-a-terrorific-mess

» James Fitzjames/Henry T. D. Le Vescante
A "Terror" readalong? EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 9:17 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

» Lieutenant Fairholme
A "Terror" readalong? EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

» Red Flares
A "Terror" readalong? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 9:07 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

» A "Terror" readalong?
A "Terror" readalong? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 8:55 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

» -"Colours"-
A "Terror" readalong? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 8:53 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

» WATM's Memes III
A "Terror" readalong? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 7:57 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

» WATM's Memes II
A "Terror" readalong? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pm by What-a-terrorific-mess

Discord Server

A "Terror" readalong?

3 posters

Go down

A "Terror" readalong? Empty A "Terror" readalong?

Post by the-lonely-turtle Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading Simmons's "The Terror" together? Like me, I'm sure that there are others who love the show but haven't gotten to reading the book yet. Personally, I've started the first 80 pages or so a while back but I'm planning to start anew and finish it cover to cover in the upcoming weeks (and also finalize an article about it that im working on). I've heard lots of mixed things about the book, as im sure you have as well, but I figured if we read/discussed it together it would make for a more interesting reading experience?
the-lonely-turtle
the-lonely-turtle

Back to top Go down

A "Terror" readalong? Empty Re: A "Terror" readalong?

Post by ktula Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:46 pm

I just finished reading the book a couple days ago, and I gotta say, I highly do not recommend it. It's racist, sexist, and very poorly written.

If anybody has any questions about characters or anything, I'm more than happy to answer them or look up info, but I can't in good conscience recommend that anybody subject themself to this.

(If you gotta read it for an article, you gotta read it - but I'm here to listen when you inevitably want to flip a table over it.)

ktula

Back to top Go down

Post by the-lonely-turtle Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:44 pm

ktula wrote:I just finished reading the book a couple days ago, and I gotta say, I highly do not recommend it. It's racist, sexist, and very poorly written.

If anybody has any questions about characters or anything, I'm more than happy to answer them or look up info, but I can't in good conscience recommend that anybody subject themself to this.

(If you gotta read it for an article, you gotta read it - but I'm here to listen when you inevitably want to flip a table over it.)

Hahaha oh man yeah just from the portion that ive already read the heavy racist and sexist undertones already grated on me, I guess those don't become less of an issue further on in the book:/.
I'll try my best to keep my expectations low and ignore all the bs; what Im most interested in actually is seeing how Simmons portrays the characters and their interactions/relationships with each other as well as the setting, and maybe compare those with what we see in the show.
From what Ive already read, one thing I'm most shocked by is Irving? in the show he's actually weirdly one of my favorites but idk what to make of this version of him...like why does he have this weird creepy crush on Silna??
the-lonely-turtle
the-lonely-turtle

Back to top Go down

Post by What-a-terrorific-mess Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:55 pm

the-lonely-turtle wrote:Was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading Simmons's "The Terror" together? Like me, I'm sure that there are others who love the show but haven't gotten to reading the book yet. Personally, I've started the first 80 pages or so a while back but I'm planning to start anew and finish it cover to cover in the upcoming weeks (and also finalize an article about it that im working on). I've heard lots of mixed things about the book, as im sure you have as well, but I figured if we read/discussed it together it would make for a more interesting reading experience?

I think this is a great idea!!!!

Me personally, I absolutely LOVE the book. Yes, it has it's racist and sexist parts in it but I think some of the descriptive writing parts and the chills it sends really make it pop. I also try to thoroughly keep in mind that some of that might have been the time period back then, but I also know some people have said the issue lies with Dan Simmons which idk, I don't care for his other works much but I absolutely love this one. I've read it six times!
What-a-terrorific-mess
What-a-terrorific-mess
Admin

https://icy-northwest-terror.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum